Friday, June 10, 2011

iLand Breeze Cafe Update...

Breached and Betrayed, iLand Breeze Café is set to rebound…

MAPLEWOOD, NJ – Friday, June 10, 2011:-- How do you rebuild a business after there has been a severe violation of trust and communication? When iLand Breeze Café opened in Maplewood last April 2010; its appeal was a welcome one to the community… it presented an exciting flair of flavors that brought customers in and who spread the word quickly about the multi-pleasing palate café. Yet within a year customers were scratching their heads and wondering WHAT HAPPENED?

We thought we’d ask this question of Availa Moore the owner of iLand Breeze…

Mayor DeLuca; Avalia Moore & Vice Mayor Cathleen Leventhal at iLand Breeze Cafe. VisionsInPictures Image
CMW: When iLand Breeze first opened there were two of you involved in the business, what was the concept in mind for the establishment?

AM: The concept we had been to create a unique Caribbean & Southern flavor eatery with an ambiance; featuring family trays at an affordable price. As you know, it can become expensive ordering individual servings.

CMW: What happened to change the business between you two?

AM: Partnerships have varied contractual agreements, my former partner was supposed to buy into the partnership. What that means is that I provided the financing needed to open the business and he was suppose to re-reimburse me a certain portion; at which time he would have become a legitimate partner on paper.

CMW: There’s been talk of distrust and betrayal and that even some law enforcement steps having been taken; do you care to shed a little light on that?

AM: Well, my former "partner" did not fulfill the partnership agreement; instead he sought to assume sole proprietorship deceitfully. When that was unsuccessful he resorted to using slander to sabotage the business; along with friends he wrote numerous slanderous letters and emails and even used social media venues attempting to hurt or bring and end to iLand Breeze despite legal facts that show his claims to be untrue and without merit. It was an unexpected blow.

CMW: Was there a total partnership established?

AM: No

CMW: After your sole ownership was established how did you start again?

AM: I re-launched the business by having a grand Re-Opening to the community and introduced featured guest artists. The Mayor of Maplewood also came out in support of the re-opening and I acquired a major catering contract at that same time.

CMW: So your catering became much more profitable than running the day to day café… is that why you sought the assistance of another "Chef"?

AM: Yes, essentially catering did become more profitable than running the day to day of the cafe.

CMW: Now that Chef has left and breached your agreement, by leaving before the terms set for your contract ended; what’s your next step to move on?

AM: My next step is to take full control of my business and I will be introducing a new summer menu.

CMW: You launched a re-opening after the trouble which led to your sole proprietorship per the legal documents in place at the start of your business in 2010, how will you re-establish iLand Breeze a second time and will you engage with the idea of partnering again?

AM: At the moment I am focusing on re-building however we never know what the future holds so I won't cross it off the list. I will however, be extremely selective of my future associates by taking the time to do due diligence. With that being said, I will yet again re-launch and re-establish iLand Breeze by having Customer Appreciation Day to thank my loyal customers for their support and re-introducing them my authentic cooking. In addition, I have enlisted the help of an experienced colleague and friend in hospitality management who has worked with the Hilton and Marriott Hotels to assist me with Customer Service and back-of- the house needs.

CMW: What will you do to ensure your customers that iLand Breeze is here to stay… customers want to know if your passion and your food will be as they’ve come to know and enjoy it… how will you win their support back after all that’s happened?

AM: I have to make it work; I’ve never lost my passion for the quality or flavor of my food; I entrusted someone else to carry on as I had; they’ve breached our contract and it cost me some customers but now with a better support system in place, I will once again be the Chef-in-house doing the cooking and baking. I will also implement a loyalty rewards programs, where customers will receive their 10th purchase free up to a specific dollar amount.

CMW: Statistics show that it takes at least 5 years for any new small business to begin showing profit, you’ve been fortunate that your catering contracts have helped you to avoid this as its been lucrative for you which has helped ease some of the pitfalls that have taken place. Will you now focus more on the daily running of the café?

AM: Yes, I have invested my life savings into this business and it’s what I know.

CMW: Is iLand Breeze going to restart its trend of presenting featured guests in the summer as in the past?

AM: Yes, we want to give the community something different so we will do that again.

CMW: What do you want to say to your customers and the Maplewood community to assure them that iLand Breeze is back and here to stay?

AM: I want to apologize to the customers for the inconsistencies they’ve encountered and to thank them for their continued support during the ups and downs that have taken place; and as such I would like to take this opportunity to invite them to the Customer Appreciation Day scheduled for July 9th from 12:00 noon - 6:00 pm. There will be free sampling with a 20% discount off of regular priced items.

iLand Breeze Cafe & Catering

Location:  1901 SPRINGFIELD AVE., MAPLEWOOD, NJ 07040
Phone: 973-489-0068
Hours: Mon - Fri: 9AM - 9PM -  Sat: 9AM - 9PM

No comments:

Post a Comment