Monday, January 28, 2013

Commemorating the Historic Obama Era

Commemorating the Historic Obama Era


By Allison Skeete


NEW YORK, NY, Friday, Jan. 25, 2013: Not everyone could have been in the nation’s capital last Monday to witness President Barack Obama’s second inauguration. Not everyone wanted to either, not Republicans still upset about the President’s re- election. However, Obama fans can show their support, on their head, sleeves, feet even while drinking their morning coffee or sitting in front of the TV without a ticket to the swearing-in.

Inauguration collectibles are abundantly available online, especially at the Official Inaugural Store, and the physical store east of the White House. Items like woven throw blankets with the inaugural seal at $165 or a 57th Inaugural Hoodie at $75 with an official inaugural seal and “Obama 2013” on front are all available and even official Motorcade Mugs, for $25, and of course there’s the common array of lapel pins, caps and tube socks, among the dozens of other gifts are or sales to represent the history of the first two-term African America President of the United States of America.

Paula Taylor of Princeton, New Jersey has her own special commemoration keepsake that caught the eye of many on Monday; she’s the owner of a specialty handbag which is specifically made at a small boutique in Virginia and which sells for $150; it’s worth it said Taylor, I saw something on television about Diane’s boutique and I called the phone number shown, she had only a few left but she put this aside for me and shipped it for me once I gave her the payment information and I knew I’d have it with me here today… I just love it.

Paula Taylor of Princeton, NJ

For Ethel Carson (at left), commemoration is simply being at the inauguration, she’s from the little town of Centre, Alabama which has just 1,300 registered voters. " I’m going to be 65 in July said Ms. Carson and I just had to be here, it’s history… I never thought I’d ever see this in my lifetime. I come from a small town and a time where this would never have been a thought that an African American would be president". She planned to be here and dressed for the event in elegant fashion wearing a beautiful blue outfit complete with a hat that many at the event complemented as reminiscent of Aretha Franklin from four years ago.   The pride at being here and sharing this moment with her daughter Rita is the commemorative ideal Ethel will treasure when she returns home. She’s going to be sharing her experience with the members of her church and her town, she’ll be the local celebrity and says it’s all just overwhelming for her but she will enjoy it and relive it often and pass the experience on in tales as much and as often as she can.

No comments:

Post a Comment